APC calls for an Award given to Akwa Ibom Gov Udom Emmanuel by the NTA to be withdrawn
The Akwa Ibom State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has asked the Minister of Information & Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, to prevail on the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) to withdraw the Award it gave to Governor Udom Emmnuel of Akwa Ibom State.
The Party made the appeal in a letter it recently wrote to the Honourable Minister, who is the supervising minister of the NTA.
The letter was also published in a national newspaper as an Open Letter to the Minister.
In a press statement issued today in Uyo, the State Publicity Secretary of the APC, Barr. Edet Eyo Bassey, quoting from the Letter to the Minister, notes that since Deacon Udom Emmanuel has performed badly in office and has failed to fulfill his promises to the people, he does not deserve an Award from the NTA, or any other federal news channel.
The Letter reads, ‘We are scandalized that the Board & Management of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) could decide to give Mr. Udom Emmanuel, the PDP Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Integrity & National Service Award. The very act of NTA, a major parastatal and information platform of the Federal Government, celebrating a PDP governor who regularly hounds and abuses the APC and His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, is to say the least nauseating, very insulting and bewildering to members and supporters of our great party, APC, in Akwa Ibom State.’
The APC stated that Gov. Udom Emmanuel regularly insults President Buhari through his media officials and mentions the an instant in which the PA to the Governor recently posted on the Social Media that the ‘President Buhari’s cows are better fed than most Nigerians are’
In the Letter written to the Minister, the APC listed at least 13 other reasons reasons why the Award should be withdrawn from Governor Udom Emmanuel.
The Letter reads: ‘We recall with shock and horror the violence and nightmare that PDP’s thugs visited on our supporters and voters during the last general elections. Over 30 people were killed on the election day in what has become the worst electoral violence in Akwa Ibom history, just to make Udom Emmanuel Governor. And since taking office, Gov. Udom Emmanuel has been performing the bidding of his godfather as religiously as a puppet. Of course, he is.
‘The NTA award therefore is a display of a most thoughtless act of indiscretion, made even more heinous by misleading the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. Boss Mustapha, to present the award to Udom Emmanuel on Feb 16th,2018 at the Conference Centre of the Presidential Villa.
Other reasons adduced in the Letter to the Minister on why the Award should be withdrawns are:
1. Deacon Udom Emmanuel has not been able to stop the cult killings and violence in Ukanafun and Etim Ekpo in which over 100 people have been killed and several others displaced as refugees from their homes.
2. The NTA Act of 1977 which established the Nigerian Television Authority does not permit the giving of Awards to tainted politicians
3. Media houses owned by the Akwa Ibom State government routinely blacks out APC , NDDC and other activities of other federal agencies and federal appointees from the state.
4. Governor Udom Emmanuel hides his budgets documents before and after approval by the House of Assembly from the people and so the state’s finances handled in less than transparent manner.
5. The Udom Emmanuel administration is wasting our resources on projects like the N10 billion worship center which do not add value to the people. But rather, the government has neglected to perform basic municipal services like street lights and garbage collections, Akwa Ibom Fire Service has only two serviceable fire trucks, and they were donated by the NDDC.
The APC concludes the letter by stating that no federal government-owned media house, including the NTA, VON, FRCN, NAN should be allowed to give out awards to PDP politicians, no matter the amount they offer to pay. It is an act of self-immolation. These are the same people who destroyed this country in their brazen corruption of 16 years.