Paris attack shows countries ‘will have to open their eyes’– Donald Trump

Paris attack shows countries ‘will have to open their eyes’– Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump, who angered the French government earlier this month with his comments about the 2015 attacks in Paris, tweeted Sunday that he was “so sad” about the latest attack there.

“At some point countries will have to open their eyes & see what is really going on,” he wrote. “This kind of sickness & hatred is not compatible with a loving, peaceful, & successful country! Changes to our thought process on terror must be made.”

It was not clear exactly what he meant in the tweet, though his administration has sought to implement travel bans on people from several Muslim-majority nations, and Trump has frequently linked Muslim migrants with terrorism.

Saturday’s knife attack in Paris, in which one person was killed, was carried out by a naturalized French citizen born in the Russian republic of Chechnya. Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.

The French Foreign Ministry rebuked Trump this month for claiming that if the 130 victims of the November 2015 attacks in Paris had been armed the outcome could have been different.

The White House also released a statement late Sunday condemning Saturday’s attack, and expressing “solidarity with the French people and their government.”

Paris attack shows countries ‘will have to open their eyes’– Donald Trump
Paris attack shows countries ‘will have to open their eyes’– Donald Trump

“Acts like this only strengthen the resolve of the global coalition to defeat ISIS and drive it out of existence,” it said.

The White House also said Trump had spoken to French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday to discuss Iran and trade. There was no mention of the attack and it was not clear if the phone call had been held before it took place.

The attack happened in the bustling Opera district, known for its many restaurants, cafes and the Palais Garnier opera.

The attacker shouted “Allahu akbar” (God is greatest) as he began his stabbing rampage.

He fatally stabbed a 29-year-old man and wounded four others before he was shot dead by police

Who was he?

Judicial sources have identified the attacker as Khamzat A, without giving his full name. French media are reporting it as Azimov.

Government spokesman Benjamin Griveaux said since 2016 he had been on a counter-terrorism watchlist of suspected radicals who may pose a threat to national security.

Has anyone claimed the attack?

Yes. ISIL said they were behind it but have provided no proof. Griveaux said the claim had not yet been fully authenticated.

In a video which the SITE intelligence monitoring group said was posted by ISIL’s Amaq news agency, a young man described as the attacker pledged allegiance to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Speaking in French, his face largely obscured by a black hood and scarf, he said “infidels” fighting ISIL were to blame. “You started it by killing Muslims,” he said.

It was not immediately possible to confirm the identity of the man in the video.

It was the latest in a succession of attacks in France since January 2015 in which more than 240 people have been killed.

Add Comment